Whether racing professionally or simply enjoying the pace of a race, sports car racing is an activity for just about anyone with the drive.
However, as all races are competitive, youre always on the lookout for ways to improve your time. Here are some tips you can take with you next time you hit the asphalt.
At the start-up
- If youre a beginner, try not to floor the accelerator at the starting line. You may still not be used to controlling all that power.
- For advanced racers, rev your engines as high as it can go within safe limits. When the signal is given, ease off the clutch, letting the engine go.
On the straight-aways
- You should be close to your maximum speed on straight-aways, but be very mindful of your steering.
- Beginners should use both hands for the steering wheel placing them at the 10 and 2 positions.
- Advanced racers should know how to steer by accelerating and decelerating. Acceleration will bring the car towards the outer track while decelerating pulls it inside. Steering with the wheel is minimal and should only guide the direction of the pull.
Making the turns
- Racers approach turns in two ways: gradual and sharp.
Gradual turns apply towards the outside of the track making for a slightly wide approach. Beginners should get used to this kind of turn first.
Tight turns tuck in towards the inner track, allowing the car to drift around the corner. This is for more advanced racers as it requires a lot of maneuvering with the steering, brake and throttle.
- Approach a turn slowly and pull out fast. When nearing a turn, ease off the accelerator, letting the car slow down to a speed thats easier to steer. Resume acceleration as you reach the apex of the turn.
- Assess your performance every time. Take note of how you performed each time and determine how you can improve on them. Did the lines you take improve your times? Did you accelerate smoothly or did you race in bursts? This will take patience on your part, but will pay off in the long run
- Finally, although it is a race, develop the attitude of working on improving your technique, rather than beating other drivers time. Focusing on being faster than the other guy takes away your concentration on what you need to do right. Remember that youre running at speeds around and over 100 mph. Small mistakes can make for big accidents.
With these racing tips, you can be well on your way to sports car racing with satisfaction and in safety.